Guardian Email Summaries: Keeping Parents in the Loop
As a parent, keeping track of your child’s academic progress can be a daunting task. With school work, assignments, projects, and extracurricular activities, it can be tough to keep up with it all. That’s why Google Classroom’s Guardian Email Summaries feature was created – to help parents stay informed about their child’s academic performance. In this article, we’ll dive into the details of this feature and how it can benefit parents and students.
What are Guardian Email Summaries?
Guardian Email Summaries is a feature within Google Classroom that allows parents or guardians to receive weekly or daily emails detailing their child’s classroom activity. These summaries include information such as:
– Missing work: Any assignments that are missing or need to be turned in.
– Upcoming work: Any assignments that are due in the upcoming week.
– Class activity: A summary of classroom activity, including announcements and posts by the teacher.
By receiving these emails, parents can keep track of their child’s academic progress and ensure that they are staying on top of their assignments.
How to Set Up Guardian Email Summaries
Setting up Guardian Email Summaries is quick and easy. Parents or guardians will need to have their own Google account to get started. Here’s how to set it up:
1. Log in to Google Classroom using your child’s account.
2. Click on the three lines in the top left corner of the screen and select “Settings.”
3. Under “Notifications,” select “Guardian Email Summaries.”
4. Enter the email address of the guardian who will be receiving the summaries and select how often they would like to receive them.
Once the setup is complete, the guardian will receive an email inviting them to subscribe to the summaries. They will then need to confirm their subscription to start receiving the emails.
Benefits of Guardian Email Summaries
There are many benefits to using Guardian Email Summaries. Here are just a few:
1. Keeping parents informed: With regular email updates, parents can stay informed about the assignments and activities their child is working on.
2. Encouraging communication: Parents can use the summaries to start a conversation with their child about their academic progress and any challenges they may be facing.
3. Accountability: With the ability to see missing assignments, parents can hold their child accountable for completing their work and turning it in on time.
4. Time-saving: Rather than logging in to their child’s Google Classroom account, parents can receive updates directly to their inbox, saving time and effort.
Things to Keep in Mind
While Guardian Email Summaries can be a useful tool for keeping parents informed, there are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Personal information: Parents will be able to see the assignments and activities of all students in the class, not just their own child. This may include personal information such as names and grades.
2. Privacy: While Google Classroom is designed to be a secure platform, there is always a risk of personal information being compromised. Parents should ensure that their email account is secure and that they are comfortable with the level of privacy provided by the feature.
3. Classroom participation: While Guardian Email Summaries can help keep parents informed, it’s important for students to take responsibility for their own academic progress. Encouraging classroom participation and taking ownership of their work is an essential part of the learning process.
In conclusion, Guardian Email Summaries is an effective way for parents to stay informed about their child’s academic progress. By receiving regular updates, parents can hold their child accountable, encourage communication, and save time. However, it’s important to consider privacy and personal information when using the feature. By keeping these things in mind, parents can use Guardian Email Summaries to stay informed and help their child succeed.